Welcome to Bikram Yoga Christchurch
We believe at Bikram Yoga Christchurch that when you walk into a yoga studio, there should be a heartbeat, a personality… a vibe. So we created a space that feels good to us, so you feel good too. It’s about community as much as it is about the hot and sweaty yoga. Come meet your neighbours, hang out and have fun. Hope to see you here often.
Peace Love and Yoga,
The Christchurch team
About Bikram Yoga
Bikram’s Beginning Yoga class is for everyone, regardless of age or fitness level. Feeling nervous, scared, or a little intimidated by the demands of Bikram Yoga? No problem! Even certified Bikram teachers started their journey with jitters. Bikram designed this class for beginners, so with a little practice, you will soon feel right at home.
- Keep your body hydrated by drinking at least 2 – 3 litres of water each day.
- Avoid eating heavy meals two to three hours before class
- Bring a mat and two towels (also available for rent $2)
- If it’s your first visit to the studio, please arrive 20 minutes before class to set up.
Try your best to stay in class for the whole 90 minutes. As a beginner it is ok to sit down if you feel dizzy. Please don’t leave the room, as we can’t look after you if you exit the class, and it can be disruptive to the other students. It’s normal to feel dizzy or nauseous when beginning Bikram Yoga; do not be concerned, you will be allowing parts of your body to open that may have been stagnant for years and toxins will be released. You will be surprised how much easier a class gets as you clean and strengthen your body. You will begin to see the heat as your friend and makes you feel GREAT after class!
Drink plenty of water after class. Feel free to ask your instructor any questions after class. Wear light and fitted clothes. Avoid long sweat pants and heavy t-shirts (our room is a hot 38ºC!)
Remember everyone’s body is different – we all have our own challenges! It does not matter what you can or cannot ‘do’. Yoga is a journey. Just do it the correct way and you will recieve 100% of the medical benefits.
- Please remove your shoes in the hallway before entering the studio.
- Please leave all belongings in the changing rooms or the shelving provided, all you need to take to class is your mat, towel and water.
- Please switch off your mobile phone
- Drink water between postures and not during, so not to distract others in their practice.
- Practice stillness between postures.
- Please try not to leave the yoga room. If you feel uneasy, simply kneel down on your mat and breathe deeply until you can re-join the class.
- Please ensure showering is brief after class to prevent others from waiting and to allow the teacher to clean up the studio before closing up.
What to expect
As soon as you walk through the studio door you will be surprised by how hot the room is. Please don’t be put off by this. It is a crucial part of the Bikram Yoga method to practice in a heated room.
Why do we need the heat?
If you think about it, it makes sense. To best benefit from any exercise program we should always warm our bodies up, and the temperature of the yoga room is similar to that of our own body’s temperature.
When the room is heated we are able to get into our postures more deeply and more effectively and therefore the benefits of the postures come more quickly.
The benefits are many:
- Your body burns fat more effectively.
- Increases the body temperature, which stimulates T-cells and boosts the immune system.
- You benefit from a strengthening of willpower, self-control, concentration and determination in this challenging environment.
- Your cardiovascular system gets a thorough workout.
- Your muscles and connective tissue become more elastic and allow greater flexibility with much less chance of injury.
- Promotes sweating and detoxification and elimination through the skin which is your body’s largest eliminating organ.
What are the benefits of Bikram Yoga?
There are unlimited benefits to Bikram Yoga. There is much scientific evidence to support that a regular practice can help with alignment problems, reducing stress, improving sleep and helping the body with common western ailments such as obesity, heart disease, arthritis, asthma, diabetes and chronic pain and injuries.
Bikram Yoga improves muscle tone and builds strength and stamina, it balances the metabolism, aids weight reduction, improves and boosts the immune system, and can help to balance hormones. It also strengthens determination, focus and willpower and increases self-esteem.
Points to remember
It’s your first class! Take the pressure off yourself by having no expectations other than enjoying your decision you’ve made to come and give it a go.
Please phone or text Kate for more information about Bikram’s Yoga:
Phone: +64 21 244 2842
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Studio photography by Andy Currie: www.andycurriephotography.co.nz